1989 Chevy 1500 Flat deck P#3

March  7  2021

This will be about the start of work on BOB..  But first :

Update:   BOB got to visit the Linde shop to use the hoist for an oil change and a good look underneath.  Found a few things… some of which won’t matter with a chassis swap.  Those are : the steering problem is caused by excessive play in the drag- link.  Front wheel bearings are a tad loose ..but not concerning.  Things that will need addressing are:  Drivers side rocker has a rust hole.  Some seals on the motor are leaking. Those seals will be replaced when the motor is pulled for the swap.  So really no bad stuff.  While in the air I swapped out the spare for the proper rim on the front..  Now I can clean and paint the spare rim and mount a tire .. ( which I found in Peter’s pile of old tires ).  Plus I’m constantly adding to my stash of stuff.  The latest add is two boxes that are a perfect fit..

Aluminum too !  I will need to change the latch, and add a gasket.  When I turn it the way I’ll mount it the box is 30″ long 13″ tall and 10″ deep.

April 2020:

The donor truck has been stripped down to the chassis.

The motor and trans will be removed and the chassis cleaned…  painted and get some new parts .  New shocks, calibers and torsion bar ends.  The steering on this chassis is tight so no more loosey goosey .  Bob gets that plus nice wheels , bigger fuel tank, better and complete exhaust system, nice heavy duty rear bumper with hitch.

Here’s the cab and deck sitting on my trailer.  I’m wanting to help more but all the moving and packing up is taking most of my time.  So things over at Harold’s shop are progressing nicely..  Bob’s motor & cab are back on the new chassis and running great.

Mid May :  This is where we are now..  body work is done…  new doors installed.  Ready for a shiny white paint job.  I helped a bit getting Bob into the paint booth.  No worries about that bit of cancer on the left fender… I have plastic flairs that cover that.  The rockers are new, and those all the bottom of the doors with get rock guard.  This next week I will help re-assembling .

Here we go..  Nice new shiny white paint job.  We are installing all the bits that were removed.  Bob’s looking like new..  Sadly there was no way to take Bob with us to Alberta. The “out of province” inspection would be the problem.  I sold Bob to someone who was keen on finishing what we started.  Here are the last photos I have ..

I parked Bob over at Peter’s and advertised him for sale.


The interior was looking a bit better but still needed some work.

Bye Bye Bob 🙁